Monday, October 12, 2015

The longest ride ever....

How do you get your friend up for a 100km century ride? ( Yeah I know, century means 100 miles, 160 km, but hell we are in Malaysia using the metric system, so what's wrong in saying a 100km is a century ride???)

Step 1. Ask for a leisure morning ride for breakfast. In this case, going from Kota Kemuning to Jenjarom for a breakfast. (45km)

Step 2. Add on the miles. Why not cycle from home to the meetup place instead of driving? It's a hassle to load and upload the bike to the car, which I try to avoid. This will add approximately 20 km or for my case, 40km return to Kota Kemuning.

Step 3. After breakfast, let's burn some calories. Since we are already here in Jenjarom, why not let's head to Jugra/Morib for a scenic and leisure ride? Especially after consuming the sinful roast pork.... Need to burn some of it. (45km)


And that's the formula for a century ride! You will get blame, but then 1 week later your might get call to go for another round of century ride... It's fun, tiring and addictive.

So here's the story. In preparation for the 10/10 Kayuhan Hari Sukan Negara which I signed up for the 120km ride, Uncle S organized a trip to Jenjarom for breakfast and back, estimated to be a 45 km ride. And I was thinking why not cycle to the meeting place, adding another 40km to the whole ride? But the idea of the planned demonstration of 16 September put me off. Hence my 100km plan didn't work! 

Meeting up with the group at Mcd at 6:30 sharp, we saw a few cyclist there already. And then there is this "Starbucks" brother that came to the ride with just singlet! Woah brother, we are in Malaysia ler, our sun show no mercy one... Then I heard whisper from those experienced cyclist that "Sure become roast pig!" Then I look at myself, I am not better with only a T-shirt. Hence I bring my sunblock and apply from time to time, phew!



At 7AM, we rolled off and going through the kota kemuning area, then passby the industrial area  and suddenly the peloton came to a stop... Mr L got a slow puncture. And I always have this thought in me when I see a road bike puncture "tsk tsk, rb puncture, mtb better". Instead of seeing a rb changing the tube, he announced that he will go home and change a bike. "Woah, rich fellow, puncture then change bike!" The last time I got a flat, I turned and go home.... 

土豪

Waiting at the edge of Kota Kemuning and Jalan Kebun, I chatted with M from Taiwan and learned lot's of knowledge of cycling as well as the industry in Taiwan. Maybe one day I shall visit Taiwan and have them fit a road bike for me... As well as touring around Taiwan with their newly completed bicycle trail around the island...

M from Taiwan enjoying local breakfast

30 mintues later, L came back with another bike. 土豪!The ride then continue on small village road along Jalan kebun area. That's kind of scenic and I can't stop but started singing 走在乡间的小路上。。。The stretch of country road continue uneventful for around 30 minutes until we reach the junction of Jenjarom. Finally we are here!!!

After regrouping here, Mr. L took us through Jenjarom new village to come to a secret spot for breakfast. Apparently he booked a table here... with warm red bean soup and freshly made youtiao.... What else can you ask for?! Siew Yok of course, Uncle S came back happily with 2 packs of it from the morning market.

Breakfast on the table

Chatted a bit, get to know the group of new friends and then some said "Not enough la, recently a few rides cancelled due to haze", " Yalor, so much siew yoh, must burn it off la", "Let's go on to Tanjung Sepat lor" "How far?" "45km" "Ehhh... too far la" "Then go Jugra lor" "how far?" "Not far, 5 km only" "On!" "OK!" "Let's go" "Kia lor"... 5km indeed, that's like when hiking u ask how far and the fella in front of you tell u another minutes or 2......


Group photo in front of FGS

We took the highway no.5 and turn off at the junction to Carrey Island, then cross the Sungai Langat flyover which is the first challenge of the day. Almost the whole team went pass me and shouting “faster faster" "Pedal harder"..... I was like "%$&^%#" Then another 20km of flat land through some plantation as well as villages. Stopped for a refuel in one of the sundry shop, and then a temple at the foothill of  Jugra, praying for the power and energy to reach the peak in one piece.

Prayers b4 attacking Bukit Jugra

After 500 meter of cycling..... my leg gave... I came down and started pushing. On the next turn, I saw B gave up too. After a minute of rest, I encourage him to keep on and we managed to pedal another stretch til the next turn and started pushing again... Saw SC in the next turn taking photo to cover up his hard breath, lolz... And finally, with some advice from SC, I started to zigzag up til the Rumah Api.


After 15 minutes of chit chat and photo taking, we saw a pretty rider up in her foldie, Miss A was slowly but steadily cranking up, we cheered for her on the peak. More group photos and some RB fellow showing off their lightweight bike by lifting it above head, we pack up to go downhill...WOoooshhhhh 1 minutes and we were at the foothill, 30 minutes of more of climb but 1 minutes when gravity is at your side... Unfair!!!



We stopped by the riverbank, took some group photo and headed to Jugra town for pit stop, We enjoy roti bakar with 100 plus to refuel and continue our journey back through the village and plantation road. When we regroup after the Carrey Island flyover, One of the starbucks brother gave in as he has been suffering a cramp for the past 40km...

Roti Bakar after Jugra

The ride back from Carrey Island to Kota Kemuning was uneventful, as I was sweeping Miss A (More like accompany each other as that's as fast as I could ride) and with the help of Waze, we were able to miraculously get back to McD ahead of the crowd. Loading up my bike into the car, we head to one of the many kopitiam for late lunch before getting home.

Another group photo by Sg Langat

Once back, I went straight to take a bath and a 3 hour nap.... Sleep like a baby to regain energy... We shall do it again, and the team did it 1 week later when I was out of town...


No comments:

Post a Comment